http://katcoyle.blogspot.com/ coiled: pirate kitty

Hi There! Coiled has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds. If that doesn't happen, please visit
www.katcoyle.com/blog
Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!
See you soon!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

pirate kitty

My days this week are spent playing with Felix, running errands and making a new toy, Pirate kitty for our little friend who has a birthday this coming Saturday with a pirate theme.
Nights are spent working furiously towards my fast approaching deadline for Interweave Knits next spring issue. I don't like knitting on work projects with Felix around because I tend to make a lot of mistakes that have to be ripped out. So, I've been knitting from 9 pm until 3 or 4 in the morning. After one in the morning I usually get a second wind, and as long as I don't have to think too hard I can knit without falling asleep in my chair. The pattern writing part has to happen much earlier in the night.


Pirate kitty without her hat and eye patch, you can see her earring made from an I-cord in two shades of gold crochet cotton.
Felix and I looked at Jack Sparrow’s costume for some sash and jewelry inspiration. Her eyes and nose are from my vintage button collection.


Pirate kitty with her hat and eye patch, Johnny pitched in and built the hat with felt fused to a plastic form. He painted the skull and crossbones.
While digging through my drawers looking for scraps to use for the costume I realized that I have A LOT of knit swatches that will make fantastic doll clothes. I’m excited about making more dolls and dressing them up in knitted skirts. Most of my finished skirts have swatches that are miniature versions of their grown up selves.

11 comments:

Gudrun Johnston said...

Your going to have to start making these to sell!! They are so cute!
That sounds like some hardcore knitting you're doing too..good luck!

Anonymous said...

ouch knitting until 3 or 4 in the morning. that is hardcore. i'm amazed you have energy and imagination for these great kitty's as well.

it's a way off but looking forward to seeing what you're putting together for the spring Interweave.

flossy-p said...

What a lucky little friend, your Pirate Kitty is the best ever!

Marnie said...

Ahoy cap'n! Pirate kitty is worth a chest of gold doubloons, pulled straight from Davy Jones' Locker.

But don't take yer eyes off'n her, or she's bound to pillage. Arrrgh!

Gail said...

LOVE the pirate kitty!

Sonya said...

I made a little pirate softie, it is fun. Your kitty is fabulous - or is that not "pirate" enough. Well treacherously good.

Connie said...

Hi Kat,
You're so creative! And so productive even with the deadline knitting. I"m still in the thick of it too. My eyes are sore, my wrists are unhappy, my neck is cracking. I hope you're faring better! And I'm totally up late knitting too - though I have lots less responsibilities than you do...

Cloudberry said...

Love it!

Twisted Knitter said...

Every little detail about Pirate Kitty is ADORABLE!

Romi said...

OMG! Adorable!

tea time and roses said...

I am a new reader of your blog, and I am so glad I found it! I quickly added you to my favorites list, I hope that is ok... Your knitting is absolutely lovely; I am going to love coming here...

Beverly