http://katcoyle.blogspot.com/ coiled: sock talk

Hi There! Coiled has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds. If that doesn't happen, please visit
www.katcoyle.com/blog
Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!
See you soon!

Thursday, October 18, 2007

sock talk


Tuesday night after a feverish knitting spree I grafted the 28 toe stitches and studied my work. Hmmm, the foot looked very small. I'm making these for a friend with small feet (US size 6 1/2 shoe), but the length from heel to toe was around 7 3/4". For myself, socks fit well at about 9 1/2" in length, I wear a US size 8 1/2 shoe.
I took out the graft, undid the short rows and knit another 3/4", then worked the toe (heel and toe measure 1 3/4” each). The sock now measures 8 3/4" and is too small and narrow on me but I'm guessing it will work for the recipient. I think another reason why the sock seemed child sized is because it only has 56 sts at a gauge of 8.3 sts per inch. So, it's narrow too.


I guess my point is: how do you like your socks to fit? Snug or not?
I prefer a negative ease all around otherwise when I wear closed shoes the sock heel gets pulled up.

Also, for knee socks do you sew in elastic at the top?

Okay, other thoughts: about stripes in this yarn (Lorna Laces Shepherd Sock)...on this particular sock with leg shaping and a change in needle size for the foot you get a wide variety of stripes. The top of the leg has 64 sts US size 2 needle, stripes look good if a little narrow, after the shaping down to 56 sts I like the stripes less, until the foot part and then I think the stripes work really well, especially at the heel and toes. These are random observations on striping. You're never too sure what you're going to get.

Here’s a finished sock from last year knit from Koigu. I’ve only hand washed them, but have worn them a lot. They’re holding up pretty well. I used the bluebell rib stitch from Sensational Knitted Socks and worked a picot hem.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the yarn color choice! I've been searching for a couple of skeins for myself for the past hour. Love it! I like my socks a little loose--claustrophobia travels to the feet, you know!

kat coyle said...

thanks debbie, i had someone comment on flickr that the color looks like candy corn. i like that observation. I'm guessing that sock fit preference is all over the place. for me, loose is good when i'm walking around the house with no shoes. and I definitely like a loose comfortable fit around the ankles. that's why i don't like store bought socks, too tight at the ankle.

Connie said...

Cute socks, Kat. I'm like you in that I like my socks with a little bit of negative ease. Nothing too constricting, but it shouldn't be loose. And I don't usually wear my handknit socks with shoes. I'm afraid of the wear and tear. I haven't knit socks in 2 years, but I'm itching to start again - especially seeing how many great sock patterns there are out there!

Michele said...

wow, lots of considerations here. and good questions.

first i like my socks to fit snugly in the foot and loosely at the top. and none of my handknit socks fit tight enough in the foot. but i might be alone in this fit preference.

i agree with you on the striping of these socks - the foot striping looks perfect. if i remember correctly others have had the same problem with lorna's laces for socks.

and your koigu socks - those look fantastic. koigu just seems to get it right all the time.

the kaffe fasset socks i've seen look nice too. if you give this yarn i try i look forward to hearing how you like it.

about the last spc forgot to say how much i love all the colors in it.

Kathleen Dames said...

You have some seriously cute shoes, lady! Those Koigu socks are very pretty, too. I agree with you and Michelle about the striping on the Lorna's Laces, but what can you do?

Lolly said...

Great post, Kat! I am right there with you on the negative ease - specifically with calf shaping for knee socks. I have made a few socks that were a little too tight over the ankle and the instep, but I still wear them...

I loved the last picture so much that I used it for a mosaic that is on my blog ;) hope you don't mind!

Anonymous said...

OK---I know we are spose to comment on socks, but how about those LEPARD SHOES? I love leopard print anything. As a matter of fact I own a set of Leopard Flannel Sheets. Of course I love the socks too.

Joan said...

I love those orange and black socks! I like mine to fit snugly and have been craving some pink cabled knee socks to wear with boots and dresses.

PS: Leopard print shoes rock. I think I have four pairs.