http://katcoyle.blogspot.com/ coiled: alpaca ascot

Hi There! Coiled has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds. If that doesn't happen, please visit
www.katcoyle.com/blog
Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!
See you soon!

Saturday, October 27, 2007

alpaca ascot



Last year I was gifted with two skeins of hand spun alpaca from England. I love the earthy, oily feel of handspun yarn; and the slight unevenness and the occasional straw bits.



Playing around with the yarn told me that garter stitch was its friend. Naturally, I made a scarf. This is the first incarnation of what I later modified as the Huckleberry Ascot.



As you can see, this one has grand eyelets forming daisies across the length of the fabric. I like the daisy motif but ultimately I think the scarf is better without them. It's more refined.



The sunset hour is my favorite time of day.

9 comments:

Carlene said...

**hand spun alpaca love**

Anonymous said...

great photos!

in the last one you look very 60's laid back and carefree.

i love how the scarf flares at the bottom. and the bobbles are so cute.

Anonymous said...

oh, kat, i love it. you knit the most beautiful things, always!!!

Connie said...

I love sunset too. And sunrise. The quality of light in these times is so golden and warm :)

I love seeing the prototypes of your magazine knits. It's so much fun to see how the idea evolves. I haven't had prototypes so far, but maybe someday if I'm excited enough about a project, I'll make one first before submitting it to magazines.

Gudrun Johnston said...

That last photo is fabulous..the scarf, the light and you!
Like Connie I love that you share these earlier versions of published designs. Did you omit the lace or did IK ask for that? (I like it both ways I have to say).

Anonymous said...

I love how cozy that looks...and I can only imagine the softness!

Lolly said...

SO pretty! I really love the little lace details. The ascot is a great look - I need to queue up the pattern from IK. Lovely design, Kat!

Madge said...

Thanks for sharing a peek into your design process.

Sunset is a magical time of day!

tea time and roses said...

Beautiful photos, and a beautiful scarf...lovely indeed.

Smiles...

Beverly